[Slackbuilds-users] HAL 'plugdev' system-group (ivman/pmount)

Patrick J. Volkerding volkerdi at slackware.com
Wed May 16 18:44:34 UTC 2007

Nenad Spirkoski wrote:
> IF, and only if, after The Man himselve has spoken, information on other
> distributions is still needed i will provide you with information about:
> CentOS, RHEL, SLES, Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu (yeah, crazy, though luckily
> last 3 only on tech support desktops)

BTW, this "The Man" thing was a bad joke played on me by my webmasters
at Walnut Creek CDROM that's gone on for a long time...  ;-)

I'd say it all hinges on security.  If a normal user mounts a CD, the
fstab applies all kinds of restrictions to it (or should).  OTOH, I have
no idea if we were to reuse "cdrom" if someone could come along with a
stick of flash memory with a setuid root binary, stick it in, and run
it.  Or, if the setuid bits would be removed.

"plugdev" wouldn't be my favorite group name, but when things get ugly
when you exceed 8 characters it leaves few good choices.  If that's what
at least one distro that's implemented HAL before us uses, I'm not
opposed to adding the group to Slackware.  Safety first.  :-)

Take care,

Pat