[Slackbuilds-users] HAL 'plugdev' system-group (ivman/pmount)

Nenad Spirkoski spiki at verat.net
Wed May 16 19:30:35 UTC 2007

Во среда 16. мај 2007 20:44 Patrick J. Volkerding напиша:
> Nenad Spirkoski wrote:
> > IF, and only if, after The Man himselve has spoken, information on other
> > distributions is still needed i will provide you with information about:
> > CentOS, RHEL, SLES, Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu (yeah, crazy, though luckily
> > last 3 only on tech support desktops)
>
> BTW, this "The Man" thing was a bad joke played on me by my webmasters
> at Walnut Creek CDROM that's gone on for a long time...  ;-)

If you wan't to look at more bad jokes (about you :) look the last few posts
on my blog: http://www.spiki.be/wordpress/

> I'd say it all hinges on security.  If a normal user mounts a CD, the
> fstab applies all kinds of restrictions to it (or should).  OTOH, I have
> no idea if we were to reuse "cdrom" if someone could come along with a
> stick of flash memory with a setuid root binary, stick it in, and run
> it.  Or, if the setuid bits would be removed.

What about adding nosuid (also nodev and noexec) as options in /etc/fstab?

> "plugdev" wouldn't be my favorite group name, but when things get ugly
> when you exceed 8 characters it leaves few good choices.  If that's what
> at least one distro that's implemented HAL before us uses, I'm not
> opposed to adding the group to Slackware.  Safety first.  :-)

BTW, i did smile when i saw Gentoo's /etc/inittab