[Slackbuilds-users] Learning How To Modify A SlackBuild

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 2 18:11:30 UTC 2007

   I would like to upgrade wxPython from 2.8.0.1 to 2.8.6.0, but I cannot
find a wxpython.SlackBuild that works ... on my main workstation/server that
is still running Slackware-11.0 (because it works).

   The process seems rather complicated to me because the source tarball
includes wxWidgets-2.6 as well as wxPython-2.8.x. The author of the
installed package hasn't produced a package with the newer version of
wxPython, and his SlackBuild script is not available on linuxpackages.net.

   When I run the package built with the script version I found (one of three
that almost works; it's less broken than the other two), I get this error
from python:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "eikos.py", line 280, in ?
     frame_1 = MainFrame(None, -1, "")
   File "eikos.py", line 66, in __init__
     self.mainNB = MyNotebook(self, wx.ID_ANY, style=0)
   File "eikos.py", line 35, in __init__
     self.pane_7 = modData(self, wx.ID_ANY)
   File "/data1/eikos/dataPage.py", line 125, in __init__
     self.dataGrid.SetColSize(i, 125)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/grid.py",
line 1703, in SetColSize
     return _grid.Grid_SetColSize(*args, **kwargs)
wx._core.PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "col >= 0 && col < m_numCols"
failed at ../src/generic/grid.cpp(10338) in SetColSize(): invalid column

   Where do I start looking at the .SlackBuild to learn what it's not doing
correctly?

Rich

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)