[Slackbuilds-users] Fw: vlc question

Alan Hicks alan at lizella.net
Fri Sep 14 00:01:29 UTC 2007

Erik Hanson wrote:
> I can't answer this, so it's being forwarded to the users list. --Erik
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:55:42 -0400
> From: "mat cabret" <matcabret at gmail.com>
> To: erik at slackbuilds.org
> Subject: vlc question
>

> i've been having a hard time installing VLC (media player) from source with
> slack and noticed you don't have a package for it.
>
> know if one exists?

A SlackBuild script.... not that I know of, but one quick google search
for "VLC SlackBuild" turned up this.

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vlc/build/

It does come with this huge disclaimer though, which easily explains why
it's not at SBo.

# NOTE: this SlackBuild is a monster - it tries to wrap all dependencies to
# vlc into the resulting package by building these deps as static libraries
# and then in the final stage linking vlc against all the static libraries.
# The resulting package has all the vlc functionality and does not depend on
# any software that is not present in a standard full install of Slackware.
# This makes my package quite different from all the other vlc builds
that are
# floating around on the Internet.
# /Eric Hameleers/

Ecclesiastes 7:5