[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20070822

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Thu Sep 27 18:15:06 UTC 2007

Eric Hameleers (SBo) wrote:
> Robby Workman schreef:
>>> I don't seem to have the keyboard and screen problems you describe.
>>>
>>> But here is a bit O'code the seem to fix the path issue, i am sure hacking a binary in this manner is all kinds of wrong
>>> but it does seem to work. The trick to this is the old string and the new string must be the same length.
>>>
>>> ( cd ${PKG}
>>>   find . | xargs file | grep "executable" | grep ELF | cut -f 1 -d : | xargs -I '{}' replace -s /usr/local/ /usr/./././ -- {} 2> /dev/null
>>> )
>>
>> Question: is this safe to do in the build script?
>> Am I inviting other problems?
>>
>> Since this is working for some people, I'm hesitant, but if it's
>> safe, I'd prefer to make sure it works for everyone...
>>
>> RW
>

> I am very much against this binary patching. Symlinking would be much
> cleaner.

That being the case, would it be better to do one of these:
1. Remove the qemu binary repackage script from our repo, since it
   can't be made to work properly *and* keep everything out of the
   /usr/local hierarchy, OR
2. Leave the qemu binary distributed in /usr/local as it's packaged
   originally and add/rearrange only as needed for the docs and such
   to be compliant with Slackware packaging
3. Leave it as is and hope for the best

?  Thoughts??