[Slackbuilds-users] Slack 12 libgnomecups pkg has no more than a docs folder

Alan C acummingsus at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 05:31:55 UTC 2007

On 9/28/07, Martin Lefebvre <dadexter at sekurity.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 08:54:16PM -0700, Alan C wrote:
>
> > > your paths might be foobared... do you have any files when you ls
> > > /usr/lib/libcups*?
> >

> > root at AB60R:/home/al/install/pkgs_sw12/abiword_n_dep_libs# ls
> > /usr/lib/libcups*
> > /usr/lib/libcups.so.2*  /usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2*
> > root at AB60R:/home/al/install/pkgs_sw12/abiword_n_dep_libs#
> >

> I have 4 files:
> /usr/lib/libcups.so    /usr/lib/libcupsimage.so
> /usr/lib/libcups.so.2  /usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2
>
> you are missing libcups.so and libcupsimage.so.
>
> the ones you have missing are symlinks... as I'm pretty sure you don't run
> ls in a way to not display symlinks, I would recommend reinstalling cups,
> just so the symlinks are created properly
>
> > Maybe it doesn't like a certain kind of ions that are in the air near my
> > computer :-)
>
> it might... do you have any windows CDs or partitions around? the viruses
> and bugs could be airborne :P

Oh no, I have a Windows box within a foot and a half of my Slack 12 box.
And I have a Win 2K SP4 in Qemu on this Slack 12 box (no Win partition on
this Slack 12 box but there is the Qemu Win 2K image file)  (Slack now gets
a filtered breather in the case of any airborne things)

> ftp://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/slackware/slackware-12.0/slackware/a/cups-1.2.11-i486-1.tgz
> >
> > I just DL that cups pkg and looked inside it.  I also used pkgtool to
> look
> > at the cups on my sys.  They look the same.  I don't detect any
> difference.
> > It appears that nothing is wrong with my cups.
> >

> the symlinks you "appear" to be missing wouldn't show in the package, they
> are created by the doinst.sh file as part of the package installation
> process.

<snip>

Technically, once a binary is linked on a "working system", the fact that
> some symlinks are missing might not be an issue... but they might be
> required for the linking process when you try to compile the program.

They must be required in this case because (as shared next) the pkg now
builds just fine without any problem.

so, to answer your original question, it's something specific to your box.

Yep.

It *was* the two missing symlinks that you reported.  (I uninstalled then
installed cups again).  And, now:

sh-3.1# ls -la /usr/lib/libcups*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     12 2007-09-28 22:13 /usr/lib/libcups.so ->
libcups.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 161028 2007-05-09 14:28 /usr/lib/libcups.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     17 2007-09-28 22:13 /usr/lib/libcupsimage.so ->
libcupsimage.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  72048 2007-05-09 14:28 /usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2

Now the pkg builds just fine.  Hmm, maybe others are miss the two symlinks
too (AFAIK I did nothing to cause them to be gone/missing).

My pkg size

111,804 b

113,575 b

Robby Workman's pkg size (libgnomecups)

I wonder why the sizes are slightly different between those two
libgnomecups?

--
Alan.