[Slackbuilds-users] "make -j4" [was: linuxwacom slackbuild]

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri Aug 8 17:10:29 UTC 2008

Jim Diamond wrote:

> P.S. For everyone who makes slack packages...  Maybe this has been
> hashed out 100 times and you don't do it for some good reason, but if
> not, would you consider using "-j 4" or something like than on your
> "make" commands?  Even on a single core, single CPU machine this helps
> noticeably, and on a multi-core machine it makes a big difference.

No, that's not the best (IMHO) way to do it.  While "make -j4" might
be appropriate for you, "make -j8" might be appropriate for me, and
"make -j2" might be best for someone else.  As I see it, the best
thing to do is use plain "make" -- that way, I (and everyone else)
can set MAKEFLAGS in my shell environment.

Example:

MAKEFLAGS="-j8" make

-RW