[Slackbuilds-users] MAKEFLAGS

Alan Hicks alan at lizella.net
Sun Aug 10 01:05:47 UTC 2008

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 02:25:19 +0000
Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> Don't set MAKEFLAGS at all inside the script - in other words,
> we use plain old "make" for the compile.  We can document the
> usage of MAKEFLAGS in our HOWTO on the site, and we can also
> mention that in the template.
>
> This has the added advantage of *teaching* users something new
> along the way, and that's always been one of the larger goals
> of this project.

Teaching is always a good thing.

> Note that this is *just* MY take on it for now and is not
> an official statement from the SlackBuilds.org project.
> We (the admins) will discuss it among ourselves and go from
> there.

One thing that must be remembered is that MAKEFLAGS are sometimes
necessary to compile the software.  For example, postfix requires the
use of MAKEFLAGS to enable SSL/TLS.  I believe nethack requires a
MAKEFLAGS variable be set to compile for different GUIs.

Ecclesiastes 7:5