[Slackbuilds-users] linuxwacom slackbuild

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Tue Aug 12 23:35:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug  9, 2008 at 12:41 (+0200), druiloor at zonnet.nl wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Jim Diamond wrote:

>>In tcsh, that pattern matches the set of files you wanted it to.  So
>>maybe you want to change your cp line to

>>	cp AUTHORS GPL LGPL NEWS README ChangeLog ....

> Well i just tested the script i submitted, spawn from 'sbopkg', and it
> works fine here... If you want to submit an edited/fixed? version that's
> great though. Hell if you want to maintain this script please do!

Thanks for the offer.  See my "bigger picture" comments below.

I was wondering what the problem is, and in case anyone here is
interested...

if LC_ALL=en_CA (or en_US), then bash matches files with lowercase
letters when you use the pattern [A-Z][A-Z]*, which I find surprising.
(tcsh on Slack 12.1 and bash on FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE don't seem to have
this (mis?)behaviour.)

> Personally i do not even own hardware this driver is for...
> (A neighbor does, and this script seems to work overthere fine too fwiw).

Yup, I guess they don't have an LC_COLLATE or LC_ALL which causes your
pattern to do something unintended.

Clearly, I can "fix" my LC_ALL setting to make the script work.  But I
wonder if there are other places in slackbuild scripts that implicitly
assume LC_COLLATE=C (Posix).  Is this something that should be added
to the instructions for slackbuild creators?  (I.e., they should set
LC_ALL to make sure they are built in a known environment.)

Cheers.

				Jim