[Slackbuilds-users] lyx_qt4 slackbuild fails during make

Aleksandar B. Samardzic asamardzic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 08:41:28 UTC 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 3:01 AM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

>  [ ... ]
>
> > On to my point of writing this email. After I reinstalled Slackware
> > (for the 3rd time now actually), qt4 installed without any problems.
> > Then lyx_qt4 gave some error, so I issued 'ldconfig' and restarted to
> > be safe, ran lyx again and it also installed without any problems. So,
> > I have no idea what so ever why qt4 wouldn't build before, but it's
> > working now. Just thought I'd give an update.
>

> That's great to hear.  Well, it's *mostly* great to hear.  I still
> haven't been able to reliably reproduce it - as it turns out, the
> other guy who had this happen to him also managed to make the build
> complete.  We're still not sure exactly why or how :/
>
>  [ ... ]

I was trying in the meantime to get hand to some P3 machine to try Qt
build, but these seem to be surprisingly hard to find here at my place
these days...  Anyway, I'd say that reported problems probably point
to some kind of hardware problems on given machines; Qt compilation is
rather lengthy procedure, the compilation itself is processor
demanding, so it could be that the problems are because of
over-heating or something alike.  I don't remember that I had alike
problems with Qt (and was compiling Qt 4 on my machines regularly
since first betas started to appear), but I do remember a year a two
ago I had issues with (Linux) kernel compilation on one of my machines
- the compilation was not failing, but the processor was reaching 99
degrees Celsius temperature, and was shut down by corresponding (I
think it's ACPI) daemon.  So, maybe an additional suggestion would be,
if one is patient enough, to experiment with CPU frequency scaling
governor, to force processor to some lower frequency and to direct
kernel to keep this frequency fixed (there are lots of materials out
there covering how to accomplish that), and then to re-try the
compilation and to see is anything improved.

Regards,
Alex