[Slackbuilds-users] sip conflicts with kdeaddon

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri Mar 7 14:29:14 EST 2008

Alan Hicks wrote:
> Robby Workman wrote:
>>> Slackbuilds from SBO belong to this tradition (in my opinion), but I
>>> do not want to speak about this again.
>>
>> I would argue that the distinction comes in when the software is
>> packaged and installed _as_a_package_; packaged software goes to
>> /usr (or /opt as appropriate), while non-packaged software goes to
>> /usr/local (or elsewhere as deemed appropriate by the sysadmin).
>> However, I agree that this has already been hashed out, and our
>> decision stands as is, so there's no need to drag it out again.
>
> I'm with Robby on this one and personally, I'm tired of it being
> discussed as well.  It's a very minor issue; I really don't understand
> why it sometimes turns into a holy war.  If you don't want packages
> compiled from SBo scripts in /usr, just edit the friggin' PREFIX
> variable and you're done.

Maybe, but not in all cases - quite a few things in many of the
scripts are hardcoded for /usr, and I personally have no intentions
of changing that.  If someone doesn't like the way we do things, there
are plenty of domain names available.  This comment is not directed
at ciol (really), but there are far too many people who have all sorts
of grand ideas of how to "improve" things, but only if someone else
spends the time and does the work.  The way I see, so long as we're
the ones spending the time and doing the work, the only grand ideas
that get implemented are the ones that we like  ;-)

> FTR, I'm for noting the conflict in the README, perhaps in ALL CAPS or
> something so it stands out.  Also, the script itself could warn.
> Something like...
>
> cat EOF
> This script creates a package that is known to conflict with the
> kdebindings package included in Slackware.  While it has been tested, we
> cannot vouch that problems will not occur with other software which uses
> sip.  If you believe you have encountered such a problem, please remove
> this package and re-install kdebindings, then try again before filing a
> bug report to the maintainer or the mailing list.  Press ENTER to continue:
> EOF
> read NOTHING
>

> Of course this isn't a perfect solution either, and I'm as open to
> suggestions here as anyone.

I think it's overkill.  Put that text in the README and that's good
enough until/unless we know more.

-RW