[Slackbuilds-users] openbox slackBuild: minor fix and suggestions for xinit scripts

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Wed Mar 19 23:28:26 EDT 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:57:04 -0700 (PDT)
Phillip Warner <pc_warner at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The xinitrc.openbox file included with the SlackBuild should be
> modified at the end so that it says: exec openbox-session
>
> instead of:
> exec openbox
>
> With the way it is, the autostart.sh file is not executed when
> starting openbox.  This is important for setting up a stand alone
> openbox session.  The file's output is slightly noisy out of the box,
> however, as it does not redirect stderror and it checks for some
> things that slackware does not have out of the box.  If this bothers
> people sed can fix that easily.  This doesn't affect any
> functionality.
>
> Also, since openbox includes scripts for starting KDE or GNOME
> sessions with openbox as the windows manager, it would be nice to
> have some xinitrc files for them as well.  I propose that there be an
> option to include each of their respective xinitrc scripts.  They
> could be called xinitrc.kde-openbox and xinitrc.gnome-openbox, and
> the kde one could be included by default.  The files would be the
> same as the xinitrc.openbox file with the exception of the last line:
>
> exec openbox-kde-session
> - or -
> exec openbox-gnome-session
>
> I do not have GNOME, so I did not test the proposed xinitrc file for
> it.  However, I did test xinitrc.kde-openbox in both runlevels 3 and
> 4 and everything ran well.
>
> Having these xinitrc scripts will make it easier for the user to
> select them as their default session (with xwmconfig), and it will
> make it so the sessions are an option in KDM/GDM/XDM.
>
> With these changes I think the openbox slackBuild would be improved
> and the resultant behavior would be more in line with the
> expectations based on the openbox documentation:
> http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:Getting_started#Using_Openbox_without_a_desktop_environment_.28The_lightweight_approach.29
>
> --phil

Without having looked into this yet, I am inclined to agree with you on
the first point.  As to the second point, it seems that maybe this is
more of a user-configurable option and not actually necessary for the
stand-alone usage of Openbox?  Couldn't the user do what you say
manually instead of crowding xwmconfig with a bunch of Openbox
choices?  Or by option do you mean an option that can be enabled in the
SlackBuild?  I don't use Openbox within KDE or GNOME so maybe I'm
missing something.  In any event, I'm just throwing out some thoughts.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Public Key:  0x0C7558C3