[Slackbuilds-users] specifying slackware version in the slackBuilds

paul wisehart listreader at lupulin.net
Mon May 5 17:05:01 UTC 2008

Iskar Enev wrote:
> JK Wood wrote:
>> That's why I use these magic things called "folders" to keep track of
>> such things.
>
> Imagine that for *some* reason you don't have the initial information -
> how would you organize the folders then?
>
> I also think it's a good idea to include the slackware version in the
> .info file.
>
> And that wouldn't be something new - Pat already appends version number
> to the patches in -stable. We'll just "follow" ... ;)

I think some form of showing which version the package would was built
for that lived *with* the pkg'ing system would also be helpful.

How are you supposed to know which SBo packages can be upgraded?
A package can potentially have all of the same meta-info, but need to be
re-compiled for a new version of slackware.

Also, slack's official packages are binary.  So the same issue is
handled automatically.

Some variable in .info or in the PKGNAM itself would take care of this,
with minimal extra impact.

--
paul w