[Slackbuilds-users] info files on submitted packages

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Tue Aug 25 06:23:44 UTC 2009

It has come to my attention that the sumbitted scripts for packages that
install
info files in /usr/info, common mostly in GNU tools, but not limited to
those
don't add entries to the /usr/info/dir file which makes autocompletion
fail.

AFAIK Pat ships a custom dir file making sure that the entries there
reflect the
packages part of Slackware. But if you install others the dir file isn't
updated,
at least not for the ones i've checked available on SBo.
I don't know what other implications this has, since i don't use the
info files much.
But i have 3 packages installing one, msmtp, gtypist & ratpoison, &
autocompletion
fails for them all.

To deal with this there could be something like the following in
doinst.sh:

install-info /usr/info/$package.info $/usr/info/dir 2> /dev/null

that adds the entry to the dir file. Most tools in SBo don't have
multiple info files
like it happens for example with a2ps in Slackware.

Of course that entry will stay there even if the custom installed
package is
unistalled. It would need something like
install-info --delete /usr/info/$package.info $/usr/info/dir 2>
/dev/null
but Slackware doesnt have a way to do that automatically upon package
removal.

Maybe it would be worth adding an entry to the doinst.sh in the
template.SlackBuild?
Thoughts?

Greg