[Slackbuilds-users] The plot thickens: A couple of 13.0 questions

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri Aug 28 13:24:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:35:29 +0200
Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér <mjjzf at syntaktisk.dk> wrote:

> So, a new day, a new Slackware version. Have looked at the RCs -
> interesting changes. Let's see what we can make out of this one!
> Competition is strong - the 12.2 was a very good release, in my
> opinion. Done torrenting down, now pushing. I will be preparing some
> updated versions of my Slackbuilds for the submission queue - I put
> off the version bumps until after the new release. Now, a couple of
> questions: After a cleanup of the Gnome dependencies, the development
> version of Abiword now builds on Slackware - with one exception: It
> requires libgsf to be rebuilt to include gio.

No, it doesn't: http://rlworkman.net/pkgs/13.0/
Well, I don't know about the development version, but if it requires
something that Slackware doesn't (yet) include, then I guess we'll
just stick to the stable version in our repository here.

> Will such a rebuilding package be acceptable for Slackbuilds? Of
> course, it doubles a package which is already in Slackware, and all
> that is necessary is a minor revision in the official libgsf
> Slackbuild. Second, my Thinkpad doesn't work very well with encrypted
> networks using the Ath5k driver, and so I have relied on Madwifi so
> far. I see from the previous Slackbuilds-users email that Madwifi
> won't build on 13.0. Any thoughts on why this is so? I may have to go
> the PCMCIA route without Madwifi (which is, incidently, the only
> non-free software I need and use).

The network code has some changes that madwifi doesn't like.
You might get lucky and find patches lying around somewhere,
but since most people don't need it (and *I* certainly don't),
it wasn't (and won't be) very high on my priority list.

> Again, thank you for the effort
> put into Slackbuilds - it is an extremely strong community
> contribution. Praise Bob, keep slacking!

Thanks, and here's hoping :-)

-RW