[Slackbuilds-users] Package Build Issues

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Mon Feb 2 02:04:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 16:23:26 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>    How does restoring business applications from the backup tape
> affect building libraries from souce? Am I supposed to rebuild LyX,
> PostgreSQL, SQL-Ledger, and all the other applications I use for
> business because the underlying distribution has been upgraded?

Yes.  While a app built on a 12.0 or 12.1 system will often still work
on 12.2, there's no guarantee.  I can think of *several* situations
where this would have complications, but unless you *really* want to
hear them, I'll spare the details (because I *really* don't want to
type it all out).

> > I can only suggest two things:
> > 1) upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new *everything*
>
>    On both machines I ran
> upgradepkg --install-new <everything>
>
> > 2) if (1) fails, clean install
>
>    I've done the latter at least 5 times.

...and yet the same or similar problems keep occurring.  That's
ultimately my point - I don't know what it is, but *something* you're
doing is causing these problems.

-RW