[Slackbuilds-users] How to contribute ?

Xavier Maillard xma at gnu.org
Sat Jan 3 13:23:03 UTC 2009

Hi Eric,

[I slightly modified your answer to make it easier to read].

"Eric Hameleers (SBo)" <alien at slackbuilds.org> writes:

> Xavier Maillard schreef:

>> I have several slackbuilds I am currently maintaining for my own
>> need. I'd like to know how I can contribute them to the
>> slackbuilds.org website so that someone with more time than I
>> have could adopt them.
>>

> Essentially, maintaining a SlackBuild at http://slackbuilds.org (or a
> series of them) should not take much time once it has been accepted
> into the repository. It would be nice if you update a SlackBuild
> script if the software it builds releases a new version but that is
> not a requirement. Sometimes as maintainer you will get emails from
> other users with patches and enhancements, and if these are valid it
> would be appreciated if you added those in an update.
>
> The only times that we (the admins) are really weeding old stuff out
> is when Slackware releases a new version - maintainers who do not test
> their submissions for the new release may see their entries absent
> from the new repository. Note that old entries remain in the
> repository for the previous versions of Slackware! We never _delete_
> entries after we accepted them.
>
> Now, if you have several SlackBuild scripts but are unable to maintain
> them as SBo entries, you can (as you did) ask other people to take
> over maintainership of these scripts. You could post a list of
> applications for which you may want to contribute a SlackBuild. That
> will certainly help.

Obviously, you are right. Slackbuild maintainance does not take
too much. But amongst the one I have written, there are
slackbuilds for software I no longer use and thus I am not
maintaining anymore. This is why I think people at SBo could take
over maintainership.

>> Additionnaly, what is the policy of SBo for the usage of the
>> fakeroot program when constructing a package ?

> About your other question - we do not accept SlackBuild scripts that
> use fakeroot or other means to avoid being root while running the
> SlackBuild script. Our policy is to have SlackBuilds that stay as
> close to the official (Slackware) SlackBuild scripts as possible.

While I understand your position to respect the official
slackware policy, I do not understand why we must be root to
build a slackbuild. Do you have lectures on that topic ? Maybe
there are good reasons not to use fakeroot at all which I am not
aware of.

> Looking forward to your list of scripts.

Here is my list (several of them are already on SBo):

/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/d/clh-info/clh-info.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/d/clisp/clisp.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/ap/keychain/keychain.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/ap/dpans2texi/dpans2texi.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/ap/mh2mbox/mh2mbox.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/ap/ttyrec/ttyrec.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/ap/dtach/dtach.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/ap/powersave/powersave.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/ap/idutils/idutils.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/asus_acpi.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/n/trn/trn4.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/n/leafnode/leafnode.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/n/woof/woof.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/n/ikiwiki/ikiwiki.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/n/offlineimap/woof.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/n/rt2860-module/rrt2860-module.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/y/nethack/nethack.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/e/notes-mode/notes-mode.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/e/howm/howm.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/e/jabber-el/jabber-el.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/e/remember-el/remember-el.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/e/planner-el/planner-el.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/e/muse-el/muse-el.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/e/muse-el/muse-el-git.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/e/htmlize-el/htmlize-el.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/l/lazy/liblazy.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/l/libsigsegv/libsigsegv.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/l/xcb-util/xcb-util.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/l/cairo-xcb/cairo-xcb.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/l/libev/libev.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/l/libxcb/libxcb.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/l/xcb-proto/xcb-proto.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/xap/qelectrotech/qelectrotech.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/xap/xvidcap/xvidcap.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/xap/awesome/awesome.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/xap/dmenu/dmenu.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/xap/dzen/dzen.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/xap/gajim/gajim.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/xap/gstar/gcstar.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/xap/qemu/qemu.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/xap/slock/slock.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/xap/xmobar/xmobar.SlackBuild
/home/xma/usr/src/slackbuilds/xap/xmonad/xmonad-darcs.SlackBuild

I have other slackbuild scripts but the general quality for them
is rather low. My main interests are in emacs package and lisp
related stuff. I am still trying to think about how to "package"
them correctly.

Cheers,

Xavier