[Slackbuilds-users] Problems with chm2pdf and chmlib.

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Tue Sep 1 03:45:48 UTC 2009

CC'ing Pat, as we might need to consider the --enable-examples in a
future chmlib rebuild...

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:22:52 -0500
Antonio Hernández Blas <hba.nihilismus at gmail.com> wrote:

> First thing, http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.0/misc/chm2pdf/ says
> that chmlib is required, wich its not quite true since chmlib its
> already in slackware 13.0

Okay, that's a bug.  If it's not fixed in the next day or so, then
that means I forgot about it, so ping me again.

> Second, once i have installed chm2pdf (with its dependencies) and
> trying to use it, i get the next error:
>
> $ /usr/bin/chm2pdf --webpage abcdef.chm abcdef.pdf
> rm: cannot remove `/tmp/chm2pdf/orig/abcdef/*': No such file or
> directory rm: cannot remove `/tmp/chm2pdf/work/abcdef/*': No such
> file or directory sh: /tmp/chm2pdf/work/abcdef/urlslist.txt: No such
> file or directory Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/chm2pdf", line 1111, in <module>
>     main(sys.argv)
>   File "/usr/bin/chm2pdf", line 1107, in main
>     convert_to_pdf(cfile, filename, outputfilename, options)
>   File "/usr/bin/chm2pdf", line 326, in convert_to_pdf
>     objective_urls=get_objective_urls_list(filename)
>   File "/usr/bin/chm2pdf", line 114, in get_objective_urls_list
>     flist=open(CHM2PDF_WORK_DIR+'/urlslist.txt','rU')
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/tmp/chm2pdf/work/abcdef/urlslist.txt'
> $

Ick.

> To fix this problem i applied a patch to chm2pdf from gentoo:
> http://mirror.yandex.ru/gentoo-portage/app-text/chm2pdf/files/tempdir.patch
>
> This patch fix a security problem with temporary dirs created at
> runtime by chm2pdf:
>
> Once i reinstall chm2pdf (with the patch from gentoo) and try to use
> it, i get this error:
>
> $ /usr/bin/chm2pdf --webpage abcdef.chm abcdef.pdf
> sh: enum_chmLib: command not found
> Something wrong happened when launching htmldoc.
> exit value:  256
> Check if output exists or if it is good.
> Done.
> $
>
> To fix this i've rebuilded the slackware chmlib package. The problem
> its that 'enum_chmLib' is part of some example programs inside chmlib
> source code and to get it inside the final package the option
> '--enable-examples' should be passed to configure.
>
> Check these URLs:
> http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/12.2/libraries/chmlib/chmlib.SlackBuild
> http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/slackware/slackware-13.0/source/l/chmlib/chmlib.SlackBuild
>
> Notice that rworkman's SlackBuild use this option but pat's own not,
> so in the end the slackware chmlib package lacks of 'enum_chmLib' (and
> other tools from chmlib).
>
> Once i rebuild chmlib using '--enable-examples' and install it, i can
> use chm2pdf without any problem:
>
> $ /usr/bin/chm2pdf --webpage abcdef.chm abcdef.pdf
> PAGES: 396
> BYTES: 1344184
> Written file abcdef.pdf
> Done.
> $

Well, just damn.  What are the chances that we can do a package named
"chmlib-examples" which installs only the missing parts of chmlib
(similar to how we do exo-notify)?

> Finally, im attaching my own chm2pdf SlackBuild (BUILD=2 with gentoo's
> patch and fixed README).

Assuming the "chmlib-examples" package is possible, can you work one
of those up and mail the resulting tarballs (both chmlib-examples and
fixed chm2pdf) to me (unless the submit window has reopened by then,
in which case you can just submit them normally).

-RW