[Slackbuilds-users] Installing in /opt?

Pierre Cazenave pwcazenave at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 13:18:37 UTC 2009

I have a SlackBuild for GRASS GIS which by default installs to
/usr/local/grass-$VERSION. In this directory is a hierarchy including a
bin, lib, share etc. I was wondering if this is the type of installation
which would best be put in /opt/grass-$VERSION because splitting out all
the subdirectories so they lived in /usr would almost certainly result
in some breakage as upstream don't intend it to be packaged this way. As
it is, it's a bit of a mission to get it to install in a packageable
manner at all.

I know there's a couple of packages which install to /opt (GoogleEarth
and OpenOffice spring to mind), so just wanted to check this was
acceptable behaviour prior to submitting a build.

Pierre