[Slackbuilds-users] Problem with auctex Slackbuild

Joel J. Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Sun Sep 20 18:24:06 UTC 2009

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 10:43:59PM +0200, Didier Spaier wrote:
> > It works so here, I just checked, but usually I don't have to su - to run=
>  a=20
> > Slackbuild. Shouldn't that be written in the README ?
> >=20
> > On Friday 18 September 2009 22:31:41 Larry Hajali wrote:
> > > You need to run the script as "su -" rather then "su".
> > >
> > > Larry
> > >

> I've always read Step 3[1] as meaning that you need to log in as root,
> not just have root powers. Maybe the place to note this is in the howto?
>
> Mark
>
> [1]: http://slackbuilds.org/howto/

I use sudo for running SlackBuilds all the time without problems,
including AUCTeX.

I repeat auctex.SlackBuild worked from sudo and su (I didn't need su -)
as long as /usr/share/texmf/bin was in my path.  I think my original
problem was that teTeX was not part of the original install, and that may
have affected root's default path.

TeXLive, OTOH make symlinks in /usr/bin and LaTeX is always found.  I
have installed TeXLive with the TeXLive installer, and not from a
SlackBuild (for which a test case does exist -- Robby?).

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson	-- http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj
CB #3280, Coker Hall