[Slackbuilds-users] new pdksh package and slackbuild

LEVAI Daniel leva at ecentrum.hu
Fri Apr 2 15:57:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 08:01:28AM +0200, Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
> On Friday 02 April 2010 02:46:54 Niels Horn wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM, LEVAI Daniel <leva at ecentrum.hu> wrote:
> > > What do you suggest to use for version numbering/naming? Is there a
> > > working versioning mechanism for other cvs based slackbuilds?
> >
> > I have had some SlackBuilds in the past based on CVS or SVN snapshots
> > and always used "cvs_yyyymmdd" or "svn_yyyymmdd" as the version
> > number, so that it's clear from when the snapshot is.
> > To guarantee that your SlackBuild works with the snapshot, you will
> > have to have it hosted somewhere, since the cvs/svn repository might
> > change daily.
> > I hosted it on my own server as a tarball.
>
> IMHO using date as a version string for vcs snapshots of a version is not
> really that useful. Svn repositories change a lot, even during the time of a
[...]
> In the end, the versioning in that case is up to the maintainer (as long as
> it's reasonable). What *is* however important, is that you base the script on
> one specific snapshot that's hosted somewhere (either by your own or by someone
> else). We do not allow direct checkouts within SlackBuilds, like Matteo
> mentioned in his post (you can add it as a comment though, somewhere in the
> SlackBuild).

Thanks for the useful inputs. I think it will be for the best if I stick
with OpenBSD's versioning; so mark each package with the OBSD release
number in which it has first appeared, and append it with an update
number.
So now, when OBSD 4.7 has been tagged, the slackware package's name with
the version number would be ksh-openbsd47-${ARCH}-${UPDATE_NUMBER}.
The UPDATE_NUMBER would start with 1, and will just grow by one with each
new update, which includes a new pack of updates from cvs HEAD.
We will eventually reach the OBSD 4.8's freeze time, and when it'll be tagged,
then we'll move to ksh-openbsd48-${ARCH}-1, and it will start again.
How does this sound?

BTW, I was wondering if it is possible to specify mirrors for the source
package in the .info file, if I will be to host it.

Daniel

--
LÉVAI Dániel
PGP key ID = 0x83B63A8F