[Slackbuilds-users] HTTP access to the repository

Mauro Giachero mauro.giachero at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 11:00:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org>wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 00:32:14 -0500 Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >
> > I don't understand what you need, aside from what's already
> > available (and has been since this project began):
> >
> >   http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/
> >
> > Since it wasn't there already, I added it to the page footer at:
> >
> >    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.1/
> >

> After thinking some more, perhaps this would suit you even
> better:
>
>  http://slackbuilds.org/ports/
>
> Each version'd directory has a tarball and gpg sig of every
> app in the repo for that version (well, they're actually
> symlinks, but that doesn't matter from your perspective).
>
> -RW

I wasn't aware of those two links, thank you!
The former is actually the best of the two, since from I latter I can't see
a way to understand to which category a package belongs to.

Given that implementing an rsync-like HTTP download would be somewhat
feasible, would you admins consider it "polite"? I mean, a single download
would imply a truckload of HTTP connections:
- 1 for categories list
- 14 for the list of packages in each category
- 2100 for the .tar.gz
- 2100 for the .tar.gz.asc
Of course, multiply that figure for the number of sbopkg users behind
draconian firewalls.

PS: I'm on vacation from today till July 26th, so I'll reply with a "little"
delay. Sorry about that.
--
Mauro Giachero