[Slackbuilds-users] Problems building packages that use OpenGL when having NVIDIA driver installed

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 17:07:09 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Keith Richie <disturbed1976 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Niels Horn <niels.horn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I started building some packages on a new box lately, that has some
>> more processing power.
>>
>> The problem I noticed that happens only on this box, is that packages
>> that use OpenGL functions (from the libGL library), crash while
>> building, with the following error (sometimes the error is a bit
>> hidden in a config.log):
>>
>> "undefined reference to `_nv000008gl'"
>>
>> A little Googling shows that this is a problem in the NVIDIA driver,
>> which I have installed in that particular box.
>>
>> I have found two workarounds until now:
>>
>> 1) Build on another box, without the NVIDIA card
>>
>> 2) Switch back to the xorg drivers temporarily using "nvidia-switch
>> --xorg", build the package, switch back to NVIDIA using "nvidia-switch
>> --nvidia" (note: this of course only works if you installed the NVIDIA
>> drivers using the SlackBuild script, not directly with the binary
>> blob).
>>
>> Both solutions will build a package that will work without problems on
>> the box with the NVIDIA card or any other graphics card.
>>

>> Now for the questions:
>>
>> 1) Am I alone here or have other users experienced the same problem?
>> 2) If this is a common problem, could / should this be mentioned in
>> the FAQ on SBo?
>>
>> If it's just me, I'll hide back in my corner and promise to be quiet. :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Niels Horn
>> Rio de Janeiro, RJ
>> Brasil
>> site: www.nielshorn.net
>> e-mail: niels.horn at gmail.com
>>

> Which packages? I have the upstream Nvidia binary installed, and have
> never came across this. libglpng, ftgl, MythTV, xbmc, and vlc all
> built fine on x86_64 and i486. They were built on 'live' build
> machines, not VMs. A bit of stuff links and builds against
> libGL.so.195.36.24 here.

If you can try LDView for me... It's available on SBo in the 13.1 repository.
The error comes after a while, so wait for a couple of minutes :)

Even if it builds without error, the resulting binary won't work on
NVIDIA cards. You will need a patch that is included in my
"waiting-for-sbo-to-open-submissions" queue, but you can get it here
if you want:
http://www.nielshorn.net/_download/slackware/slackbuilds/LDView.tar.gz

Another one is brlcad, also on SBo, but that one needs >3GB to build,
so only try that if you have enough free disk space and patience.

I hope this gives the same error for you :)

My machine is x86_64 though. My 32-bits box does not have an NVIDIA card in it.

Thanks!

Niels