[Slackbuilds-users] Libwps for Works documents

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Fri Mar 12 17:57:18 UTC 2010

On Friday 12 March 2010 17:45:32 Pierre Cazenave wrote:
> On 12/03/2010 16:35, Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:23:41 +0100 Heinz
> >
> > Wiesinger<pprkut at liwjatan.at>  wrote:
> >> there's some facts missing here about what you want to do and what
> >> the error is *exactly*. Are you using openoffice.org or
> >> go_openoffice? When is libwps not picked up, runtime or by
> >> configure? What do you want to rebuild?
> >
> > Sorry to be unspecific. I am using
> > http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.0/office/openoffice.org/ which
> > I built when it came out. Now, I find myself in need of opening Works
> > files, and my installed OOo will not. Therefore, I installed Libwps.
> > I then checked to see if my installed OOo could access the import
> > filter, but it does not pick it up. My next thought is that it might
> > pick it up if I rebuild the OOo Slackbuild, but if it merely rebuilds
> > prepackaged RPMs, it might not include anything. I just wanted to ask
> > if anyone had experience with this before I started downloading and
> > rebuilding.
>
> The go_openoffice build at SlackBuilds will natively open Works files,
> it seems (http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.0/office/go_openoffice/):
>
> "Go-oo has built in OpenXML import filters and it will import your
> Microsoft Works files"

Correct, although it uses an included version of libwps by default. You'd have
to specify that you want to use the system one.

> However, it'll take hours to compile and requires many gigabytes of disk
> space.

Indeed, and it doesn't build with multiple jobs either, which makes this truly
a PITA.

> The precompiled binary repackaging in the "standard" openoffice
> SlackBuild won't pick up the new libraries, unless I'm mistaken.

You can repackage openoffice is much as you want. I t will never pick up support
for libwps.

So basically, what you want is go_openoffice.org. If you don't want to build it
from source you can try a binary package of it, like for example oxygenoffice,
or others linked at go-oo.org

Grs,
Heinz