[Slackbuilds-users] Patch proposal to remove bashisms from some scripts

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 09:29:10 UTC 2010

On 11/2/10, Ben Mendis <dragonwisard at gmail.com> wrote:
> it is perfectly acceptable to specify 'bash' for you script instead.

It is? I'd always assumed that the "follow our templates whenever
possible" rule meant the #!/bin/sh (from the template) is required... If
it's allowed to say #!/bin/bash, I'll do that for all my future
submissions.

Maybe the admins could make a note of it on the submissions page, or
even change the template to start with #!/bin/bash (is there any reason
not to do this? My opinion is there's not, but I'm just a luser...)

Am not advocating mass-updating existing slackbuilds to change the
shebang line, mind. Just the template. Maybe with a comment saying
"do not change to #!/bin/sh unless you've actually tested your script
with at least ash and ksh"?

Pretty much a separate (possibly off-topic) question here: why would
anyone even care to use ash for /bin/sh on a build host? On an embedded
system it makes sense, but on the dev box where you build its packages?