[Slackbuilds-users] Patch proposal to remove bashisms from some scripts

Eric Hameleers eha at alienbase.nl
Sat Oct 30 11:30:33 UTC 2010

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, David Spencer wrote:

>> Recently I have been tinkering with one of my boxes to use ash as
>> /bin/sh and noticed that doing so some SlackBuilds aren't working as
>> intended anymore.
>
> I'll leave the question of whether this needs a mass patch at SBo to
> the SBo admins.  If it doesn't, I'll quietly update my SlackBuilds the
> next time they need revision for other reasons.

Slackware assumes and requires that the root user uses bash as the
default shell. Not just SlackBuild scripts but the init scripts will not
all work the full 100% when using a limited version like ash.

We are not going to demand or execute a mass patch here at SlackBuilds.org
- we keep assuming that /bin/sh is linked to /bin/bash .

Cheers, Eric

--
Eric Hameleers
Email: alien at slackware.com
Jabber: alien at jabber.xs4all.nl
Gpg fingerprint: F2CE 1B92 EE1F 2C0C E97E  581E 5E56 AAAF A75C BDA0

The two basic principles of Windows system administration:
* For minor problems, reboot
* For major problems, reinstall