[Slackbuilds-users] Patch proposal to remove bashisms from some scripts

Max Miorim miorimmax at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 12:40:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Eric Hameleers <eha at alienbase.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, David Spencer wrote:
>
>>> Recently I have been tinkering with one of my boxes to use ash as
>>> /bin/sh and noticed that doing so some SlackBuilds aren't working as
>>> intended anymore.
>>
>> I'll leave the question of whether this needs a mass patch at SBo to
>> the SBo admins.  If it doesn't, I'll quietly update my SlackBuilds the
>> next time they need revision for other reasons.
>
> Slackware assumes and requires that the root user uses bash as the default
> shell. Not just SlackBuild scripts but the init scripts will not all work
> the full 100% when using a limited version like ash.

Yeah, I have had to modify the init scripts to work around some
problems like the absence of arrays in ash.

> We are not going to demand or execute a mass patch here at SlackBuilds.org -
> we keep assuming that /bin/sh is linked to /bin/bash .

Although I don't like the assumption that /bin/sh is linked to bash
(I'd rather use #!/bin/bash to ensure that I'm using the right shell),
I kind of understand the reasons for doing so.

I will modify my sbopkg to run "bash $PKGNAME.SlackBuild.build"
instead of sh and just use "bash script.SlackBuild" from now on. :)

-- Max