[Slackbuilds-users] Patch proposal to remove bashisms from some scripts

slakmagik slakmagik at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 17:50:15 UTC 2010

On 2010-10-30 (Sat) 09:00:11 [-0400], xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org wrote:
> On Saturday 30 October 2010 08:40:58 Max Miorim wrote:

> > > Slackware assumes and requires that the root user uses bash as the default
> > > shell. Not just SlackBuild scripts but the init scripts will not all work
> > > the full 100% when using a limited version like ash.
[snip]
> > > We are not going to demand or execute a mass patch here at SlackBuilds.org -
> > > we keep assuming that /bin/sh is linked to /bin/bash .
[snip]
> Thanks for your work on this. While we will not demand these changes be made
> the maintainers of affected builds are free to make these changes if they wish.
>
> --dsomero

Your patch won't work in some cases - I'm guilty of using '[[' in dwdiff
and mtpaint but I also leave $VAR unquoted. Merely changing it to '['
will result in ash choking on either an unexpected operator or an
expected argument if the variable is unset. But, as others have said,
thanks for bringing it to my/our attention. I agree with the policy that
sh is bash and that these changes aren't mandatory but also agree
that SlackBuilds shouldn't be needlessly bashistic and I'll modify mine
soon.