[Slackbuilds-users] nonstandard build scripts

emmel the_emmel at gmx.net
Wed Aug 10 09:26:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 05:22:26AM -0400, B Watson wrote:
> On 8/9/11, Erik Hanson <erik at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> Nothing, I just don't want to rewrite the thing, is what this boils
> down to... especially if I'm ever going to submit more drumkit packages
> (in which case I'd have multiple copies of it, possibly different from
> each other).

OK, just my two cents. The way I understand it, the templates serve to
make maintenance easier and avoid common mistakes. They are meant for
standard situations.
Non-standard situations require non-standard scripts, so there isn't
really a problem. What you probably should do is keeping the variables
that make sense and write it in a clean and easy to understand way
(preferably). Also, the error handling should be consistent with the
templates (in outher words, bail out on errors, rather than ignore
them).
I'm not an admin, but I think that's pretty much what it bouils down to.

> Eh, at this point, this thread now contains more text than the script
> contains actual code, maybe I should have just STFU and submitted it.

That's what the list is for. I don't think anyone really minds as long
as it's on topic.
--
GPG signed
Fingerprint: 60B4 D8E3 9617 900C 6726  168F D677 5AAD D40F CCE7