[Slackbuilds-users] nvidia-kernel

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 04:10:57 UTC 2011

Submitted the nvidia-kernel 280.13 update and ran into a glitch: per this
lists recommendation, I created /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf to
automatically load the nvidia module if /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d is empty and
there is no xorg.conf.  The consensus was that anything in the latter
locations will override 10-nvidia.conf. This was decided so that driver
upgrades would not break any local customizations.

However, the one setting that does not override is "Coolbits."  If I specify
Coolbits in 10-nvidia.conf, I can adjust the fan speed (see below); if I
leave it out, I cannot adjust the speed even though xorg.conf has the
correct entries.  The device section in xorg.conf appears to be ignored if
it also appear in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.  Deleting
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf restored the normal function of
xorg.conf (and presumably xorg.conf.d)

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GT 430"
    Option         "Coolbits" "5"
EndSection

Recommendation: delete /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf if you need
to use xorg.conf and/or xorg.conf.d otherwise you should be ok if you use
nvidia-settings fro all adjustments.

I'll send in a patch for the readme ASAP once I figure out how to say it in
an concise and still accurate manner.

--
You! What PLANET is this!
    -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0