[Slackbuilds-users] Why Might a SBo Application Look in /usr/local? [SOLVED]

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 03:01:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>  I've no idea where to look to see where the shell is getting the wrong
>> location. I've been using the SlackBuild packages for several versions now
>> and haven't before come across this issue.
>
>  Well, I came up with the right idea and looked in ~/.bash_profile. For
> some reason I aliased R to look in /usr/local/bin. Since I installed R from
> the SBo packages over the past few years I've no idea why I did this nor do
> I know why R ran (from /usr/bin) until today.
>
>  I am suitably embarrassed.

Well, you should be; no one else has ever done anything that dumb
before, certainly not me :-) (Believe me, I really am kidding!)

For years, I've talked about writing a book about the various strange
and wonderful ways we screw ourselves with computers (not a
particularly original idea). If you can stand a war story, 35+ years
ago, I worked on and later ran the Tenex project at BBN. BBN was one
of the key companies that built the ARPAnet (the predecessor of the
Internet) and Tenex, an operating system developed by us for the DEC
PDP-10, was the most common host OS on the network. One of the guys in
the Tenex group wrote a backup and archiving system. The first time he
ran it in production, it archived its own executable and source files.
Archived files could only be read by the archiving program. Me: So
should be no problem -- you have a copy of all that stuff on DECTape,
right? Him: Um, no.

/Don