[Slackbuilds-users] tangogps slackbuild doesn't work

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 31 16:53:47 UTC 2011

> There is a newer / older version of gpsd in the pending queue (not
> approved yet).
> I'm copying the maintainer to see if he has any idea...

The gpsd maintainer is lying in bed feeling very very ill and reading
email with the brightness set to minimum :-(

gpsd-2.96 has an API change (the function set_raw_hook was removed)
which means viking-1.1 doesn't build.  That's why I recently submitted
the downgraded gpsd-2.95.  Both tangogps-0.99-2 and tangogps-0.99.4
build ok with both gpsd-2.96 and gpsd-2.95.  I don't know of any
specific changes in gpsd-2.96 that will cause a runtime segfault in
tangogps.  Because it's difficult to get a satellite fix in bed,
actual testing of tangogps-0.99.4 will require the gpsd maintainer to
get out of bed :-/

<digression> I've only just noticed there is a problem with SBo's
viking.info at the moment.  Although the SlackBuild is for version
1.1, the .info file is still for the old version 0.9.94 </digression>

FWIW, libcurl's error 6 is "Couldn't resolve host. The given remote
host was not resolved." which doesn't sound like the sort of thing
that would provoke a segfault.

The gpsd maintainer is now feeling a bit better, having spent the last
20 minutes thinking about tangogps, viking and gpsd instead of
migraine.  Maybe later tonight the gpsd maintainer will get out of bed
:-)

Probably more later
-D.