[Slackbuilds-users] tangogps slackbuild doesn't work

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 17:50:22 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:53 PM, David Spencer <
baildon.research at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > There is a newer / older version of gpsd in the pending queue (not
> > approved yet).
> > I'm copying the maintainer to see if he has any idea...
>
> The gpsd maintainer is lying in bed feeling very very ill and reading
> email with the brightness set to minimum :-(
>
> gpsd-2.96 has an API change (the function set_raw_hook was removed)
> which means viking-1.1 doesn't build.  That's why I recently submitted
> the downgraded gpsd-2.95.  Both tangogps-0.99-2 and tangogps-0.99.4
> build ok with both gpsd-2.96 and gpsd-2.95.  I don't know of any
> specific changes in gpsd-2.96 that will cause a runtime segfault in
> tangogps.  Because it's difficult to get a satellite fix in bed,
> actual testing of tangogps-0.99.4 will require the gpsd maintainer to
> get out of bed :-/
>
> <digression> I've only just noticed there is a problem with SBo's
> viking.info at the moment.  Although the SlackBuild is for version
> 1.1, the .info file is still for the old version 0.9.94 </digression>
>
> FWIW, libcurl's error 6 is "Couldn't resolve host. The given remote
> host was not resolved." which doesn't sound like the sort of thing
> that would provoke a segfault.
>

> The gpsd maintainer is now feeling a bit better, having spent the last
> 20 minutes thinking about tangogps, viking and gpsd instead of
> migraine.  Maybe later tonight the gpsd maintainer will get out of bed
> :-)

If you google for 'libcurl "error 6" segfault', you get hits involving all
sorts of applications that apparently use curl. Try it. This looks to me
like a bug in libcurl. So unless you are feeling better, stay in bed. This
appears to be someone else's problem.

/Don