[Slackbuilds-users] Introduction & questions about link creation for the 'oxygen-gtk' theme

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Sat Jun 18 07:36:02 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm an Austrian IT consultant (big word for saying that I run a
one-man-company specialized in installing SOHO networks for small town
halls, schools, public libraries and the likes, based 100% on GNU/Linux
and FOSS) living in Montpezat, a small and sunny village in South
France. I made my first steps on Linux back on 2001 on Slackware, and
I've been a Slackware user for a few years. For the last few years, I've
been switching to CentOS for various reasons. About two weeks ago, I've
decided to come back to Slackware because 1) the release policy suits
me, 2) despite the appearances, it's enterprise class, 3) it's
rock-solid and belongs to the category of rare Linux distributions that
JustWork(tm), 4) it doesn't succumb to the temptation of reinventing the
wheel every six months by desperately implementing every new technology
on the block. 5) It's fun. But you probably know all that.

I'm currently quite busy getting my act together on Slackware, so I'm
writing sets of tagfiles, put all my config files in nifty little
SlackBuild scripts so I can distribute them easily, RTFM a lot, etc.

I'm using KDE as desktop, and I tried out SBo's 'oxygen-gtk' package for
visual integration of GTK applications. It works really great, but now I
have a - small - problem that I'd like to solve.

1) The site contains a small HOWTO on how to activate the theme, simply
by creating a symlink like this:

$ cd
$ ln -s /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc .gtkrc-2.0

Which works nice.

2) Since I'm planning to use this configuration on machines with lots of
users (think: schools), I'd like to integrate this in my user profiles.
So I tried this:

# ln -s /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc /etc/skel/.gtkrc-2.0

Which works also nice: every new user is created "automagically" with
the relevant symlink in his home directory.

3) Now here comes the point where I reach my limit of competence. I'm
trying to package my default user profile. I'm writing a SlackBuild
script for this, and right now, I wonder how to define that symlink. I
know how to go about it with a simple file. Say I have a 'gtkrc' file in
the same directory as the SlackBuild script, the solution would be
something like this:

mkdir -p $PKG/etc/skel
cat $CWD/gtkrc > $PKG/etc/skel/.gtkrc-2.0
chmod 0644 $PKG/etc/skel/.gtkrc-2.0

But how could I have something similar with the symlink?

Any suggestions?

Niki