[Slackbuilds-users] Grip update recommended -> latest version builds, installs and runs just fine

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 14:22:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:21 AM, B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/26/11, Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:
>
>> Adding all the - ten or so - libs to the build queue in sbopkg and then
>> download and build them takes ten to fifteen minutes on a reasonable
>> recent PC. Of yourse, YMMV.
>
> If I wanted a GUI CD ripper on a reasonably recent PC, I'd just use the
> one that comes with Slackware as part of KDE (or XFCE). My grip package
> is meant for old (or anyway resource-limited) systems. Think ArmedSlack
> on a 66MHz processor, or an old Pentium-166 with 64 megs of RAM, rescued
> from a dumpster (OK, maybe not with Slackware 13.x, but 10.0 or 11.0
> would run OK on it).
>
> So, I'll submit an updated package for grip-2.96, renamed to grip2. In its
> README I'll mention that there's a much newer version called grip3. Should
> work out OK for everyone.

On a personal note: I use grip(2) as it just does the job and has done
so for quite some time.

As an SBo admin, I have no problems with grip2 and grip3 co-existing
in the repo, as long as there is something mentioned in the README of
both that they cannot co-exist on a single system, and that it is not
possible to "upgrade" from grip2 to grip3, but that the older version
needs to be uninstalled before installing the newer release.

--
Niels Horn