[Slackbuilds-users] My SlackBuilds on -current.

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Mar 29 23:52:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Pierre Cazenave wrote:

> Generally you are only expected to maintain your scripts for the current
> stable release of Slackware. At the moment, scripts at SlackBuilds.org are
> only officially supported on 13.1. When 13.37 is released, everyone will
> have to make sure their scripts work on 13.37, fix any that don't (just
> updating to the most recent release of your program usually fixes most
> problems), and then resubmit them.

   Thanks, Pierre.

> The easiest way to maintain scripts is to use a virtual machine (I use
> VirtualBox) to have a clean installation of Slackware. The nice thing
> about Slackware is that even if you're a bit short of horsepower, you can
> be really quite stingy with the virtual machine's "hardware" and still
> test your scripts.

   I've run Slackware since 2003, including on very limited hardware. That's
why I stick with it. I ran Red Hat from 1997-2003 and got tired of the
dependency hell every time I'd try to upgrade a package. And I didn't want
to be on the bleeding edge.

> Pierre (can't believe I mistyped my name in my last email!)

   Time for sleep? :-) I wondered about the spelling but figured you know how
to spell your name.

Merci,

Rich