[Slackbuilds-users] Rejected SlackBuild

Erik Hanson erik at slackbuilds.org
Mon Nov 7 16:14:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 04:24:13 -0500
B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/6/11, Serban Udrea
> <serban.udrea at skmail.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to upload a new SlackBuild but it get's rejected
>
> Is there anyone else besides me who thinks the uploader ought to have
> better error messages? Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to
> have it say stuff like:

It's possible you've never run into these, but they have existed since
the beginning:

> File already exists in pending/approved queue
File exists; a submission by the name $name is already pending approval.

> File too large (maximum XXXX KBytes)
File size too large; please check your archive. Do not include the
source.

> Invalid file type (must be .tar, .tar.gz, or .tar.bz2)
Invalid extension; upload a .tar file, optionally compressed with gzip
(.tar.gz) or bzip2 (.tar.bz2).

http://slackbuilds.org/content/uploadfailed.html

> Missing DOWNLOAD= in blah.info file
> Invalid BLAH= in blah.info file, line 2
> PRGNAM in .info file doesn't match PRGNAM in blah.SlackBuild
> etc. etc.
There was something wrong with your .info file. It needs to be in the
correct format.

There are other checks as well.

> I'm assuming the code that handles uploaded files, checks various
> things and if anything failed, prints "there was a problem with your
> upload". Since the checks are already being done, maybe it should give
> specific error messages saying which check failed?

Don't assume anything about the code. It's done in a way that is not
trivial to extend the .info file output. This has been on my todo list
for a long time, and I would have done it by now if it were that simple.

--
Erik Hanson