[Slackbuilds-users] wireshark issues

Chris ABELA chris.abela at maltats.com
Tue Oct 11 13:38:22 UTC 2011

I have an updated 13.37 32 bit installation plus 117 SBo packages, nothing
else.

I upgraded wireshark to 1.6.1 from 1.4.6 and it fails to start:

~ $ wireshark

wireshark: error while loading shared libraries: libwsutil.so.0: cannot open

~ $

wireshark 1.4.6 works/worked fine.

This was solved as follows:

# cd /usr/lib

# ln -s libwsutil.so.1.0.0 libwsutil.so.0

And similarly:

# ln -s libwiretrap.so.1.0.0 libwiretrap.so.0

(BTW I wonder if this would unleash a dependency hell in other distros)

I also failed to start wireshark in the recommended method in the README:

/sbin/setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin=eip /usr/bin/dumpcap

unable to set CAP_SETFCAP effective capability: Operation not permitted

Actually, normally I rely on kdesu to start wireshark, as otherwise dumpcap
looks similar to tcpdump, which is not what I want, but I would appreciate
an explanation on how it should work.

Chris