[Slackbuilds-users] Building vlc is driving me into a kernel panic

ABELA Chris chris.abela at maltats.com
Thu Apr 12 10:30:47 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea De Pasquale [mailto:andrea at de-pasquale.name]
Sent: 12 April 2012 12:05
To: ABELA Chris
Cc: SlackBuilds.org Users List
Subject: Re: Building vlc is driving me into a kernel panic

On 04/12/2012 09:05 AM, ABELA Chris wrote:
> I already had a vlc built but as I upgraded libupnp and decided to rebuild
> vlc.
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49744080/vlc-kernel_panic.jpg
>
> I am using default Slackware 13.37 32 bit encrypted LVM installation. I
have
> an Intel Pentium Core Duo with 2GB of RAM and 4GB of swap. The kernel has
> been upgraded to 3.3.1

I have tested the VLC SlackBuild on Slackware64-13.37. I have an
encrypted LUKS/LVM configuration too. Everything runs fine on my stock
2.6.37.6 kernel. Seems that you ran out of memory during the compile
process, on my system I have 4GB of RAM and 4GB of swap.

I cannot help more than this since my SlackBuild is based on Eric
Hameleers' one, I have only modified it to build VLC only and use shared
libs instead of static libs. You can find it at:

http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vlc/build/vlc.SlackBuild

Cheers,
--
Andrea De Pasquale

Thank you Andrea.

The problem was due to my 3.3.1 kernel upgrade, not vlc per se.
It might be that I did not configure well the kernel, or this kernel version
is "funny". I have not found any proof of the latter the former is a known
reckless tinkerer :-).

I can confirm that it builds fine also on linux 3.2.14 with the
slackware-current configuration.