[Slackbuilds-users] Problem after nvidia-driver and nvidia-kernel install

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Thu Aug 23 13:22:38 UTC 2012

King Beowulf a écrit :
> Niki, you found the solution before my first cup of coffee for the morning.
>
> Yes, you will need the original Mesa gl headers not the versions from
> nvidia.  The new slackbuild for 14.0 fixes that.  After some discussion
> around the 'net and info from nvidia, the new slackbuild doesn't copy
> the headers from nvidia's package.

A more general question regarding 'nvidia-driver'. One of my boxes is a
"build box" with four Slackware systems on it. Slackware 13.37,
Slackware64 13.37, Slackware 14.0RC2 and Slackware64 14.0RC2. Since I
install many additional packages on the average Slackware desktop
(between 150 and 200), I prefer building all the additional stuff
centrally on one machine, and then install only my compiled binary
packages on other machines.

Now this "build box" has an NVidia GeForce 6200 card, with the
'nvidia-driver' and 'nvidia-kernel' packages installed and configured.

Could this be a problem when compiling stuff for other boxes that don't
have an NVidia card? Right now I'm using Xfce on all my desktops, but I
remember last year I did something similar with a hand-compiled KDE
4.6.5 desktop, and I had trouble because of the installed NVidia driver.
I had to revert my machine to a "vanilla" state (nvidia-switch --remove)
and rebuild KDE.

Eventually, which packages could be affected here?

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr