[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: qemu and aqemu

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Mon Feb 6 04:30:24 UTC 2012

On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 22:17:15 -0600
Antonio Hernández Blas <hba.nihilismus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Stu Miller <slackbuilds at ssmbox.net>
> wrote:
>
> > replacement package uploaded to slackbuilds.org
> >
> > changes to package:
> >
> >   default group changed from kvm to users
> >

> I don't see any real need for that since you already can execute:
>
> # KVMGROUP='users' sh qemu-kvm.SlackBuild
>
> but anyway i can add "export KVMGROUP='kvm'" to /etc/profile.d/sbo.sh
> to keep it the same as now.

The change is because "users" makes a better *default* (IMHO);
there's no real reason to require a special group that's not
already present, so I'd prefer the default to be this way.

> >   default target changed to x86_64-softmmu
> >
> >   target list feature (e.g. build all targets) no longer in package
> >
> >   /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 binary renamed to /usr/bin/qemu-kvm
> > (don't forget to change your startup scripts!)
> >

> Can you do a symlink from /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 to
> /usr/bin/qemu-kvm? So you don't break the normal name that one has
> been using ;)

No; putting a symlink at qemu-system-x86_64 would then kill the
qemu-system-x86_64 binary shipped with the regular qemu package.

> BTW, there's also the next binaries inside qemu-kvm package:
>
> /usr/bin/qemu-img => /usr/bin/qemu-kvm-img
> /usr/bin/qemu-nbd => /usr/bin/qemu-kvm-nbd
> /usr/bin/qemu-ga => /usr/bin/qemu-kvm-ga
> /usr/bin/qemu-io => /usr/bin/qemu-kvm-io
>
> Are they going to be renamed also? If so, man pages also would be
> renamed?. At this moment i think there's a conflict with *qemu*
> package, isn't there?

Simply having a conflict is fine, so long as the contents are the
same, and they are for these other conflicts, so no, there's no
need to rename them.  Overwriting these files is completely harmless
regardless of which package is installed last.  That is *not* the
case for the qemu-system-x86_64 binary.

-RW