[Slackbuilds-users] Recommended Change to postfix.SlackBuild

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 8 23:11:49 UTC 2012

   I recommend a change to postfix.SlackBuild to include cyrus SASL as well
as dovecot SASL. The latter works only with smtpd while the former is
required for smtp and needed by anyone who has to relay outgoing mail
through an ISP's mail servers.

   After 15 years with a static IP address the telco providing the DSL line
between here and our ISP changed us all to DHCP _and_ blocked outgoing port
25. This means that we need to relay outbound mail through our ISP. After a
day-and-a-half of searching the Web and speaking with experienced network
admins I figured out how to fix my mail service, incoming and outgoing. I'll
share that here to explain how to add cyrus to the build script, and what
change I needed to make to main.cf.

   In the SlackBuild script I changed to

# Build with dovecot sasl by default, cyrus/dovecot are supported
SASL=${SASL:-cyrus}

and

make makefiles \
   CCARGS="-DUSE_SASL_AUTH -DUSE_TLS $SASLARGS $DBARGS -DUSE_CYRUS_SASL" \
   AUXLIBS="-lssl -lcrypto $SASLLIBS $DBLIBS"

   In /etc/postfix/main.cf I had to set smtpd_sasl_auth_enable to no and
comment out all other references to smtpd_sasl, then ensure that
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes, and the other smtp_sasl-related options were
properly set.

Rich