[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: qemu and aqemu

Stu Miller slackbuilds at ssmbox.net
Sun Feb 12 22:15:41 UTC 2012

On 12.02.2012 13:24, Robby Workman wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Feb 2012
15:40:13 +0100
wrote:

>> sorry for the delay, but I was fiddling with the stuff :)
trying to ease maintaining also for end users and to follow Robby's
concerns, I've adapted the qemu slackbuild to build also qemu-kvm and
make a single package (by default, but there's a switch to disable
building it). it's an experiment I assembled very fast but seems to work
on my machines.

> After a small amount of tweaking, here's the
result:
> http://slackbuilds.org/cgit/slackbuilds/log/?h=qemu-merged

(there are two commits, with fffd199a being the important one.

Another approach is this one:

http://slackbuilds.org/cgit/slackbuilds/log/?h=qemu-kvm
> (which has
already been mentioned for review).

> Given the options, I think I
like the first one (qemu-merged)
> better, BUT there's a very real
potential to miss some files
> that aren't included in the qemu package
(see TODO: in the
> build script), and who knows what kind of
damned-near-impossible-
> to-figure-out errors that would induce in qemu
runtime :/

> The second approach is not as "clean" as the first, but
it's less
> error-prone in the future probably.
>
> In both cases, the
qemu and qemu-kvm versions have to be in sync,
> so that's an issue that
we need to fix regardless...

> All that said, perhaps there's another
approach that I'm missing,
> and if so, I'd like to hear it. I'm
obviously not in favor of
> leaving things as they are, but other
suggestions will certainly
> be entertained...
>
> -RW

IMHO our merge
of the qemu-kvm SlackBuild into qemu SlackBuild is premature. It remains
the intention of the KVM Team to discontinue qemu-kvm once qemu properly
merges the code from kvm. The KVM Team doesn't believe they are there
yet so why do we?

Stephan Hajnoczi: Should I use QEMU or KVM? [1] see
the section: "What is the difference between qemu.git and qemu-kvm.git?"

I recommend continued support of the qemu-kvm SlackBuild with focus on
the x86 Intel, x86 AMD CPUs however the PowerPC and S390 CPUs should not
be forgotten. All other qemu CPU emulation should be directed to the
qemu SlackBuild until such time as the KVM Team says qemu-kvm is
deprecated.

Processor Support - KVM [2]

It's a complicated issue. I
hope I'm still tracking properly.