[Slackbuilds-users] qemu and qemu-kvm (again)

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Mon Feb 20 19:17:50 UTC 2012

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 00:45:25 -0600
Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> Given that no clearly correct/optimal consensus was reached regarding
> qemu and qemu-kvm earlier, I opted to do the following:
>
> 1) update qemu to 1.0.1
> 2) rename the useful binary in qemu-kvm to "qemu-kvm"
> 3) disable building of non-KVM targets in qemu-kvm build
> 4) add optional spice support to both qemu and qemu-kvm
>    (yes, a spice build is in pending and pretty much cleared
>    by me already)
>
> This will allow those who only need one or the other with
> respect to KVM usage to be happy, but it will also allow
> those of us who want to parallel install both qemu and qemu-kvm
> to be happy too.
>
> Are there any objections with the commits here?

I hope not, because I just merged it into master and 13.37.
If there are objections, I suspect they will be to one of
two things:

1) Renaming /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 to /usr/bin/qemu-kvm
   means that VM startup scripts have to be edited.  Sorry,
   but go ahead and edit them.

2) Removing support for building all targets means that some
   users will now have to build qemu instead of using qemu-kvm
   for everything.  Well, I won't be too terribly opposed to
   reverting that part and returning the ability to build all
   targets (though I'll insist that it default to off).

Hopefully it won't be an issue though...

-RW