[Slackbuilds-users] qemu and qemu-kvm merge

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:20:29 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

I'm back with the proposal of a few months ago about a merge of qemu
and qemu-kvm to avoid incompatibilities between the two generated
packages, so that we can use qemu-kvm for our native (x86 and x86_64)
emulation needs and qemu for emulating arm and other archs.
I spotted a nice option in the configure, --with-confsuffix:
specifying --with-confsuffix=/qemu-kvm for qemu-kvm let us install
firmware in /usr/share/qemu-kvm and configurations in /etc/qemu-kvm,
avoiding the fatal overlapping. This way only some non-influent
binaries like qemu-nbd and qemu-img overlap, but we can safely use the
ones from qemu.
I'm using the resulting qemu package on my virtualizers with no problems.
If you want to have a look at the modifications, they're here (I made
also another notable addition to the configure, --disable-debug-info:
this way I eliminated two seds)

http://cgit.ponce.cc/slackbuilds/commit/?h=qemu

I attach also a tarball, to let you try more easily.
Let me know if you like it: obviously I'm not maintaining any of the
two packages and I will be very happy to hear some opinion on this
from them. :)

Matteo

P.S. Obviously, incompatibilities can be avoided also using simply the
--with-confsuffix=/qemu-kvm in the qemu-kvm.SlackBuild, but I liked
the idea of the single package.