[Slackbuilds-users] requirements in README files

J j at dawnrazor.net
Mon Jul 9 16:20:42 UTC 2012

I'm wondering if there's any hope at all of perhaps enforcing
slackbuilds to have a consistent format in their README files for
listing requirements.

Currently we see a very wide variety of formats. While the most
popular looks something like:

This requires perl-Params-Validate, perl-DateTime-Locale,
perl-DateTime-TimeZone, perl-Test-Exception, perl-Sub-Uplevel
perl-Math-Round.

There are many, many variations, even on this theme, and many others
besides. Here are some fun examples:

Requires: perl-Convert-BinHex perl-IO-stringy perl-MailTools

This package requires perl-Class-Gomor and libdnet, from SlackBuilds.org

perl-Mail-SPF requires (in that order):
1. perl-digest-sha1
2. perl-digest-hmac
3. perl-NetAddr-IP
4. perl-Net-DNS
5. perl-Net-DNS-Resolver-Programmable

Xplanet is required to use PlasmaXPlanet.

Here's a really nice one:

This requires zope.component and gaphas.

To build, this requires pysetuptools, setuptools-git and nose.

And those are only examples which contain the word "require". Needless
to say, this makes it highly non-trivial to parse requirements out of
README files. An ideal solution would be add this info in a file
somewhere, for example into the .info file. But they would still need
to be in the README, cause that just makes good sense. So it makes
some sort of sense to just have them in the README. Consistency in
that regard would be very useful. I understand it may not make the
most sense to apply this to all existent slackbuilds, but that's okay,
cause 14.0 is on the horizon; perhaps this could be applied starting
with 14.0?

I appreciate your time and consideration.