[Slackbuilds-users] fonts from the Adobe Reader package

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 04:31:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Greg' Ar Tourter <artourter at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of modifying the slackbuild script for Adobe Reader to
> add the fonts provided with it to the system's path, more specifically
> the otf fonts.
>
> The reason I wish to do this is that the Minion and myriad font are
> rather nice and used quite often by people in documents. The fonts
> have the same licence as the rest of the application and allows the
> user to use them and embed them in documents as they please.
>
> So my first question is: is it acceptable to do so? and the subsequent
> one being, if it is, should I just copy the fonts to
> /use/share/fonts/OTF or link them there?
>
> Thanks in advance for the feedback.
>
> Cheers
>
> Greg

I would say no.  The Adobe Acrobat Reader fonts are subject to the Adobe
Acrobat Reader software EULA and I don't see a "do what you want clause."
There are some redistribution and usage issues and the EULA does not allow
you to do "as you please."

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/reader/x/eula_en_gb.html
http://store1.adobe.com/type/browser/info/embedding.html

There are plenty of decent public domain, open source and creative commons
fonts if you are looking for document  creation.

That said, as I am definitely not a lawyer (and I really do detest EULAs in
general), perhaps leave it to the user: include a switch with default of
"no" and link them for system wide installation.

-Ed
--
You! What PLANET is this!
    -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0