[Slackbuilds-users] Frei0r's homepage is "dangerous"

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Tue Oct 9 22:38:15 UTC 2012

Top-posting fixed. Please don't top-post.

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 02:54:05PM -0700, Doogster wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM, W. Dean Milner
> <wdmilner at caisteal.net> wrote:
> > On 2012.10.08 17:22, Doogster wrote:
> >>
> >> Regarding the following LQ thread:
> >>
> >> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=4800614
> >>
> >> The homepage and official download links for Frei0r are
> >> apparently not currently safe. For now, I recommend the
> >> following URL changes:
> >>
> >> Homepage: http://freecode.com/projects/frei0r
> >>
> >> Source Download:
> >> http://ftp.dyne.org/frei0r/releases/frei0r-plugins-1.3.tar.gz
> >
> > Might consider reading the whole thread past the first post.
> >
> I have. Regardless of the *actual* danger, you don't want users
> to see a malware warning when they follow links off your site.
> That causes them to lose trust in you.

The slackbuilds.org target audience are people who ought to be able
to understand what a Firefox malware warning is, and what effect the
malware might have on them. Ideally they are also people who
understand that the World Wide Web is comprised of distributed
content: that linking does not imply control nor approval.

If we have a link to a project page, it should be that project's
official page, the one they decide to publish as such.

Problems of this nature might indeed cause SBo or the build
maintainer to question the competency of the project. But if we (SBo)
lose users because they think a Firefox malware warning is cause for
them to lose trust in us, I suggest that it is no great loss.
    Rob McGee - /dev/rob0 - rob0 at slackbuilds.org