[Slackbuilds-users] Is there a way...

Matthew Fillpot mfilpot at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 02:19:51 UTC 2013

On Apr 14, 2013 8:46 PM, "JB" <yochanon at lavabit.com> wrote:

>   Hi gang,
>
>   I tried to get all the dependencies installed on a friends 13.37 system
in
>   preperation of installing HandBrake.
>
>   The reason I downloaded all of them and burned them onto a cd-rw and
took it to
>   him is he has only dial-up and is unfortunately constrained to being
able to use
>   it only from ~midnight through ~6AM. Naturally he has other things he'd
also like
>   to do so I do a lot of downloading for him.
>
>   The problem: We got everything installed and when we go to build
HandBrake, it
>   wants to download and install *all* the dependencies on its list -
whether they're
>   already installed on the system or not!
>
>   This is a PITA for dial-up users. I looked at the Slackbuild for
HandBrake, but
>   didn't see anything in it that's making it do the downloading, and
unfortunately
>   am not a programmer so can't figure out where else this set of
instructions is
>   other than the HandBrake tarball itself somewhere.
>
>   Does anyone know what I can possibly do to install HandBrake on my
bud's system
>   without having to go through the whole download and install thing?
>
>   Thanks for all and any help with this one.
>

> --
> "The Constitution was handed down to guide us by a bunch of wise old dead
white guys
> who invented our country! Now some flinch when I say that. Why! It's
true-they were
> white guys! So were most of the guys that died in Lincoln's name opposing
slavery in
> the 1860s. So why should I be ashamed of white guys? Why is "Hispanic
Pride" or
> "Black Pride" a good thing, while "White Pride" conjures shaven heads and
white
> hoods? Why was the Million Man March on Washington celebrated by many as
progress,
> while the Promise Keepers March on Washington was greeted with suspicion
and
> ridicule? I’ll tell you why: Cultural warfare!"  -Charlton Heston

It sounds like you are using Sbopkg to do the build which is separate from
SlackBuilds.org.  As this is a dialup user, it would be best for you to
burn the SlackBuilds and source files to disk and execute the .slack build
scripts to build them outside of third-party tools.