[Slackbuilds-users] Email address rejected

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Tue Dec 24 17:11:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 03:05:44PM +0000, Marcin Herda wrote:
> I'm having problems submitting a SlackBuild tarball with my email
> address. In the past I used a gmail account for submissions but
> used this address for communication (and for people to contact me
> about the script). It resulted in the fact that there were 2 email
> addresses circulating around. Willy has recently addressed the
> issue asking contributors to clarify which address should be used.
> Now I'm trying to cut down on using anything google and would
> really like to stick to the email address I'm sending this message
> from.
>
> The error I get is:
>
> mherda at slackword.net was rejected by slackword.net.
>
> If your mailserver uses Greylisting you may want to Whitelist
> slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org.

The function is very simple, as Erik has explained before. When a
build is submitted, the PHP code looks up the MX host for the given
address. It makes an SMTP connection thereto, and does a simple test:

MAIL FROM:<slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org>

RCPT TO:<your at email.address>

If it gets a "250 OK [...]" response all is well and your build is
accepted. If not, it assumes your email address is bad. No attempt to
send actual mail is sent; in either case the PHP code will "QUIT"
next.

Just for grins I tried this from our DNS master host, which wouldn't
have gotten past any greylisting, because it isn't normally used for
sending mail:

rob0 at Shibboleet:~$ telnet 66.147.240.171 25
Trying 66.147.240.171...
Connected to 66.147.240.171.
Escape character is '^]'.

[at this point I noticed a greet pause of a few seconds]

220-host371.hostmonster.com ESMTP Exim 4.80 #2 Tue, 24 Dec 2013 09:25:48 -0700
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.
EHLO shibboleet.slackbuilds.org
250-host371.hostmonster.com Hello shibboleet.slackbuilds.org [216.23.247.74]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-8BITMIME
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
MAIL FROM:<slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org>
250 OK
RCPT TO:<mherda at slackword.net>
250 Accepted

> I've contacted my hosting provider's support but they say there
> are no filters/graylisting on this account. Any hints?

It's possible that our PHP code didn't wait for the banner, but I
vaguely recall looking into this once before, seeing that it did?

We do have to attempt to verify that email addresses are valid, and
greylisting and such make this difficult.

Perhaps your simplest workaround is to use the gmail address in the
submission form, and mention your @slackword.net address in the
comments?

(Do any admins have a problem with that idea? Feel free to speak up
and disagree.)
    Rob McGee - /dev/rob0 - rob0 at slackbuilds.org